It’s time to welcome back our Guest Blogger, Maddy Bellcroft. In this article, Maddy writes about the Zenzo and Tonzu products available at Fresh Choice Nelson. Take it away Maddy…
This is my second to last edition of what you can find in the veggie, vegan, dairy-free chilled section at Fresh Choice Nelson. Today I have the joy of writing about Zenzo and Tonzu. These brands are produced by Chalmers Organics who specialise in the manufacture of ‘food products where the integrity of their nutritional value can be maintained throughout the manufacturing process, and the manufacturing process has minimal or no negative impact on our environment’, which sounds pretty good to me.
Here are my top picks for this week:
- Organic Tofu – Made in the Japanese way. I love to marinade it in soy and a little chilli and then bake until golden and add to sushi. It’s also great cubed in a veggie pie.
- Organic Tempeh – Mince up with onions, garlic, butter beans and walnuts and roll in puff pastry to make veggie sausage rolls. Or, plan a play on Gado-Gado by thinly slicing, marinading in BBQ sauce and baking until crispy. Serve it with fresh veggies and a satay dipping sauce.
- Mango coconut yoghurt – Mix with oats, milk and frozen blackcurrants and soak overnight to make a creamy bircher muesli. Make a delicious dairy-free lassi by blending with extra frozen mango and coconut water.
- Sour Cream – Dollop on top of Mexican or spread on cheese scones or savoury muffins.
- Aioli/Mayo – Add a tablespoon to cooked peas with salt and mash for a great pea mash which is yummy on toast. Serve with oven roasted kumara chips or spread in wraps and sandwiches.
Chalmers Organics also have other products like tofu luncheon and dairy free cheddar. You’ll find lots of recipes on their website which all look mouthwatering. Head to Fresh Choice Nelson to fill up your fridge with exciting new inspiration from Zenzo and Tonzu.