At Fresh Choice… Your local Nelson supermarket we love summer entertaining! Who says the only way you can cook steak in the summertime is on the barbecue? Not us! No siree!
Here’s a dish to impress your guests using beautiful rump steak…
Summer Beef Stroganoff
SERVES 4 : PREPARATION TIME 15MINS : COOKING TIME 15 MINS
- 400 gm beautiful rump steak
- 1 tsp paprika
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250 gm mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche or natural unsweetened yoghurt
Beef: Slice the rump steak into strips and toss in the paprika and lemon zest. Heat the oil, add the steak cook quickly on both sides, remove from the pan and set aside.
Mushroom Sauce: Reduce the heat, add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, (but not browned). Add the mushrooms and cook until lightly golden. Pour in the stock and heat through then return the steak to the pan for a minute. Season and stir through the creme fraiche or yoghurt.
To serve: Serve over cooked rice, garnish with chopped parsley and lemon zest.
The Grocer’s Tips & Tricks…
- Cook beef rump strips quickly (3-4 minutes) for tender results.
- For extra flavour add 1/2 cup white wine after cooking the mushrooms. Allow it to bubble up before adding the stock.
- Boost the fibre content by serving with brown rice or wholemeal pasta.
This recipe comes from the “be inspired with beef and lamb simply summer” guide, available free at Fresh Choice Nelson supermarket.
Be the host with the most by serving the perfect easy drinking summer red with this dish. The Grocer recommends Bannock Brae’s Goldfields Pinot Noir 2012, currently on offer at Fresh Choice Nelson supermarket at $19.99 , (saving $10).
Now for the summer play list… How about a little Seals & Croft?