The Nelson school holidays are almost here, so, in this week’s post, local Nelson chef and guest Blogger, Grant Dicker has a great way to keep the kids entertained. Take it away, Grant…
The school holidays are soon upon us. Baking can be an ideal way to fill in an afternoon with the younger members of the family. Let’s be honest, learning to cook is an essential part of growing up. M&M cookies may not be quite as essential, but once your family has tasted them, that could well change!
This past Sunday was a miserable day, and that meant that Katie and Brodie were in the kitchen baking. The house smelt amazing, Brodie was entertained, and at the end of it, there were hot cookies!
Having the ability to make your food can certainly help in your daily life. Processed and packaged foods may seem like a convenient option, but making your own gives you the knowledge that all the ingredients are the best (and you get bragging rights!).
These cookies also work well with a pinch of cinnamon and sultanas, or dark chocolate and cranberries. The options are only limited by imagination. Drop in to Fresh Choice Nelson and browse the aisles for inspiration.
School Holidays Cookies
- 250g plain flour
- 2g baking soda
- 170g unsalted butter, melted
- 220g soft brown sugar
- 100g white sugar
- 15ml vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 335g M&Ms
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 165 degrees Celsius. Grease cookie sheets or line your tray with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour and baking soda into a bowl, then add the salt and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar thoroughly. Beat in the vanilla, egg and egg yolk until light and creamy. Then mix in the previously sifted ingredients. Stir in the M&Ms using a wooden spoon.
- Roll spoonfulls of the mixture into balls and press them lightly to make a saucer shape. Remember to place them at least 5cm apart to stop them spresding into each other.
- Bake for around fifteen minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Don’t forget to head to Fresh Choice Nelson for all your baking ingredients. Let’s get the school holidays started!