This week, our Fresh Choice Nelson guest blogger, Paula, has a delicious pumpkin pie recipe for you to try. Take it away, Paula!
Winter is in full swing in Nelson, and there is nothing quite like a comforting dessert. My pumpkin pie recipe will definitely warm you up. This pie is amazingly good for you too! Pumpkin is highly nutritious with vitamin A and antioxidants. This pumpkin pie recipe has no added sugar; it’s gluten-free and low carb. It’s also made using the most luscious ‘Little Bare’ coconut cream available at Fresh Choice Nelson.
Little Bare Food Company
Lonnie Pomeroy, from the Little Bare Food Company, started out writing a food blog and sharing simple recipes that were staples for her family. The philosophy was all about sparking inspiration. It offered new ideas to people looking to improve their family’s health. Lonnie was diagnosed with lymphoma at sixteen years old, which made optimum nutrition incredibly important for herself. When her two children, Maggie and Fletcher, came along, she further committed to a fully health orientated lifestyle.
Little Bare Food Company Coconut Cream
This thick and luscious coconut cream is simply made with pure coconut cream and water. It is perfect for making coconut yoghurt and using in sweet and savoury dishes, such as smoothies, curries, coffees and hot chocolate. I’ve used it in this fabulous pumpkin pie recipe. The quality and texture of this coconut cream are exceptional.
Paula’s Pumpkin Pie Recipe
(Serves 12 – Dairy free, gluten free, sugar-free)
- 1 cup of almond meal
- 1/2 cup LSA (ground linseed, sunflower and almond)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 Tbs of melted coconut oil
- One Tbs of sweetener (I use sweetnz classic blend)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Press firmly into a tart tray and bake at 180 degrees until golden. Let the base cool.
- Place 2 cups of diced pumpkin in a roasting dish with 1 tsp of melted coconut oil and bake at 180 degrees until soft and cooked through.
- Place the pumpkin in a saucepan with one can of Little Bare Coconut Cream, and blend with a stick blender until smooth.
- Add 1 tsp of ground ginger, 1 tsp of ground cinnamon, 1 tsp of vanilla paste and sweetener to taste. Add 1 Tbs of gelatin that you have bloomed in 1/2 cup of cold water, (I use a good quality gut health gelatin).
- Bring the filling mixture to a simmer for five minutes, then pour into the base.
- Let the pie set in the fridge and serve with extra coconut cream.