This week we’re talking Beer at Fresh Choice. Our beer aficionado, Denis Cooper, politicking over pints!
Before you go lambasting me about my political incorrectness with the title of this article, consider that “Dump the Trump” is the name of an IPA brewed by Behemoth Brewing from Warkworth.
Andrew Childs, chief brewer and bottle-washer of Behemoth, not only pushes the boundaries of beer labelling but more importantly shreds the boundaries of brewing. Apparently with the bitter chance of Trump winning, Childs saw fit to produce a bitter beer as his form of rebuff.
Unfortunately this monster (the beer, not Trump) is only available in kegs so as not in the Fresh Choice beer fridge. Have no fear, the bottled varieties from Behemoth are all freshly available at Fresh Choice, Nelson and all of them are a wonderful thing.
- “In Ya Face” double IPA 9% is Donald Trump all over, with a hairific amount of passionfruit and grapefruit hops and a weak underbelly of caramel malts that proliferate into bitter insults. A true beast of a beer and, like Trump, will get right up in ya face.
- “Chur!” NZ Pale Ale 5.5% comprises lasagne layers of hops and malts. Pine forest and kiwifruit hop notes give a tingle on the tongue whilst being equally balanced with moreish malts. This is the flagship of the Behemouth range, choice eh bro!
- “Brave Bikkie” Brown Ale 6% is brewed with cocoa nibs and coconut and is not your usual brown ale. This brew needs no explanation other than it tastes exactly like a liquid chocolate lamington.
- “Hopped up on Pils” NZ Pilsner 5% smells like an IPA and tastes like an IPA but with a crisp tangy subdued bitterness. Very fresh-tasting flavour of passionfruit that ends in a dry finish. Pilfect!
- “Roll in the Hay” Farmhouse IPA 6.3% a pleasantly surprisingly hoppy farmhouse ale that has nuances of yeasty cloves and wheat. Citrusy orangey hops abound and a slight sourness provides a very refreshing summertime flavour feel.
Go on then, get down to Fresh Choice, Nelson and dump some Behemoths in ya trolley.
Ooh, scary thought: Trump in the dictionary means winner! Hope he doesn’t bring back prohibition…
Denis “couldn’t beer it teetotal” Cooper.