Spring is in the air in Nelson so its time to start thinking about getting out and about and enjoying this wonderful region we call home and its many outdoor pursuits. To really enjoy the day, don’t forget to take a packed lunch, there’s something deliciously satisfying about picnic food. Pack some snacks, some fresh fruit and something full of carbs to refuel from your walking, cycling or sailing. What could be better than cheese scones?
This recipe comes from local chef and Guest Blogger, Grant Dicker, – Find Grant on Facebook.
Here’s my favourite recipe for cheese scones. It’s sure to impress even the most fussy of palates. The cream cheese in the scone does away with the need to bring butter (but they are best with butter!) The fillings I’ve included are just a guide, you may have other favourite picnic food; but the chutney and cream cheese work fantastically together.
Now we can sit back and wait for the days to get longer, the sun to warm up, and someone to clean the barbecue!
This recipe will make ten big tasty scones.
- 500g flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups of cheese
- Pinch paprika
- Pinch curry powder
- 3 teaspoons of oil
- 1 egg
- 1oo ml (approx) milk – more or less may be required
- Salt to taste
Favourite picnic food fillings:
- Cream cheese
- Bacon, ham or salami
- Spring onion, spinach and tomato chutney
- Heat an oven to 160 degrees. Grease a large flat tray.
- Place the flour, cheese and the spices into a bowl along with the salt.
- Add the egg and the oil and begin to mix while slowly adding the milk. Continue until the dough is soft but kneed-able.
- Don’t overmix, and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough until it is about 30cm wide and 50cm long.
Now head to Fresh Choice Nelson for all your baking needs, so you can get out and Picnic!