Welcome back to our Guest Blogger, Maddy Bellcroft; this week Maddy has an article about her favourite choices from the organic bulk bin buys at Fresh Choice Nelson! – Find Maddy on Facebook.
You may have noticed a few changes around the bulk bin area at Fresh Choice Nelson recently. More space has been opened up to add over 25 new organic bulk bin items. I have helped to hand pick these fantastic products direct from suppliers such as Ceres and Chantal.
Because some of the products may be new to you we have placed info panels in store with a few tips on how to include them in your cooking.
A few of my favourite items include;
- Coconut chips – Stir these through smoothies, lightly toast in a pan and sprinkle over cakes, mix into muesli.
- Mung beans – Soak and slow cook in your favourite curry, sprout for a crunchy salad topping or sandwich filler.
- Sundried tomatoes – A fantastic flavour without all the oil, soak in boiling water for 10 minutes to rehydrate, make into pesto and add to wraps, pizzas and pasta sauces.
- Whole dried bananas – A treat for lunch boxes, slice and add into muesli bars or muffins, or dip in chocolate.
- Green split peas – Make fantastic green pea soup, or use as a yummy thickener in a curry. Cook until soft and mash with avocado, lime and salt for a delish dip.
- Buckwheat flour – Perfect for pancakes, you can mix it with water to create a simple batter. Great addition to gluten free bread or baking.
- Golden flaxseed – Blend and add to porridge or smoothies, high in omegas, can also be used as an egg replacement in baking.
- Inca berries – Super tart, these are wonderful dipped in chocolate. Soak in boiling water for five minutes before adding to a curry for a lovely sour flavour.
The beauty of bulk bin buying is that you can experiment with as much (or as little) of each ingredient as you like. The products above are only a small selection of the great new organic range, so make sure you check out the full range at Fresh Choice Nelson next time you are in store.