Over the last few week’s we’ve bought you some fabulous morning recipes to help you start the day right. But as the evenings draw in, you sometimes need a simple mid-week meal to feed your Nelson family. This week Maddy is sharing her recipe for Veggie Fried Rice; take it away Maddy…
Veggie fried rice is a great option when you don’t know what to make for dinner, or you have leftover rice. You can substitute pretty much any veggie in this recipe for whatever you have in your fridge or garden. Other veggies that work well are zucchini, capsicum and broccoli. Although it’s not a veggie, pineapple also makes a nice addition. For this recipe, I used brown rice but white rice, quinoa and rice noodles also work well.
A Simple Mid-Week Meal – Veggie Fried Rice
- One C uncooked brown rice (or about 3 cups cooked)
- 1.5 Tbsp of olive or coconut oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- One C shredded cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- One C mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1.5 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Topping ideas – Fried salmon, chicken, tofu or egg.
- Cook rice as per packet instructions.
- In a large pan heat oils and fry onion for 3 mins over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for a further 2 minutes.
- Next, add all the veggies and stir fry for 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add rice and sesame seeds and cook for a further 5-10mins until rice starts to crisp slightly and any moisture is evaporated.
- Finally, add tamari, chilli and apple cider and stir until flavours are mixed through. Taste and add extra seasoning if desired.
- Transfer to bowls and top with one of the topping ideas above or enjoy as is.