As autumn arrives in Nelson, you’re probably looking for meal ideas to warm the cockles of your heart… Well, we have good news! Paula’s back on the blog this week, and she has some inspiration for you!
The change of season is upon us in Nelson, and the weather has definitely turned cooler. If you’re looking for meal ideas, you’ll be pleased to know that Inspire Meal Bags are changing too, with autumn and winter bags now in store.Each bag includes a recipe card and your ingredients. That makes deciding what to cook a whole lot easier. One thing I love at this time of year is warm comforting food, like hearty stews, warming curries, and, of course, soups!
This recipe for Lamb Shank on Parsnip Puree is one of the meal ideas from the new range of Meal Bag recipes. Grab a handy Inspire Meal Bag from Fresh Choice Nelson, or pick up all the ingredients you need in store and follow the recipe below.
Lamb Shanks on Parsnip Puree (Slow Cooker – Gluten Free)
Preparation time – 20 minutes. Cooking time – At least 3 hours. Difficulty level – Medium.
- 6 large parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 cup of cream
- 25g of butter
- Salt and pepper to season
- 3 Tbsp cornflour
- Glass of red wine (optional)
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 bunch of broccoli
- Mix 2 Tbsp of cornflour in a bag with the salt and pepper. Place the lamb shanks in the bag and shake until coated. Sear the lamb shanks on both sides in a hot pan to seal in the juices. Then place the lamb in a slow cooker on high. Deglaze the pan with the red wine (if using) and add that over the lamb. To the lamb add the finely diced onion and carrot and chopped rosemary. Then cover with the beef stock.
- Cook the lamb for around three hours. The meat should be soft and very tender. Once cooked, removed from the sauce and set aside. Place the sauce in a saucepan over a medium heat. Stir in 1 Tbsp of cornflour mixed with a little cold water, then bring to the boil until thickened, stirring all of the time.
- Peel and dice the parsnip and simmer until soft. Drain and add the cream and butter. Blend with a stick blender until smooth. Season well with salt.
- Serve the lamb shanks on the parsnip puree with the sauce and steamed broccoli.
For more meal ideas, head into Fresh Choice Nelson and check out the Inspire Meal Bag range or order online.