It’s time to welcome back our Guest Blogger, Maddy Bellcroft. Over the next few months, Maddy is going to share some fabulous recipes that feature local Nelson foods. Take it away Maddy…
Over the next few months, the focus for my blog posts will be on products and local Nelson foods from companies within the 200Km radius of Fresh Choice, Nelson.
There is such a huge range of amazing local suppliers, who put their heart and soul into creating delicious, nutritious food. Just look for the yellow 200km sign in the store, to support these fabulous businesses, and know you’re doing your bit!
This week I wanted to make a recipe with products from local companies. All the ingredients for this rhubarb and apple crumble dessert can be found at Fresh Choice, Nelson. The fruit in this recipe can easily be substituted for whatever is in season, or whatever your favourite fruits are!
Rhubarb and Apple Crumble with Choc Cashew Topping
- 500g organic apples
- 350g rhubarb
- 1/2 C water
- 250g Yum Chocolate Granola
- 3 tbsp Pic’s Cashew Butter
- 2 tbsp local honey
- 1/2 C Little Bare Coconut Cream (place the tin in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving).
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Slice the rhubarb into 2cm lengths. Core the apples and slice them thinly, then place them in a pot with the rhubarb and water. Cover the pan and bring the fruit mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the fruit is just soft, not mushy!
- Lightly oil a baking dish and spoon the fruit mixture into it. Place the granola and cashew butter into a medium bowl, mix well and sprinkle over the fruit.
- Bake for twenty to thirty minutes until the top of your crumble is golden.
- Serve warm, topped with scoops of the chilled coconut cream.