Over the last few week’s we’ve bought you some fabulous recipes to help you feed your Nelson family. This week Maddy is sharing her failsafe homemade bread recipe, and the great thing is, there’s no need to knead! (Did you see what we did there?) Take it away Maddy…
It seems that during this period we are consuming flour and yeast in record quantities. Fresh Choice Nelson has stocked the shelves and what better way to celebrate than with our failsafe homemade bread recipe. You don’t even have to get your hands dirty for this one, it’s quick to whip up and freezes well if you want to make a spare for later (slice it first). If you don’t have wholemeal flour you can just use white flour instead.
Homemade Bread – No need to knead!
- 1 C warm water
- 1 tsp honey
- 1.5 tsp yeast
- 2 C wholemeal flour
- 1 C white flour
- ½ C rolled oats
- ½ C sunflower seeds
- ¼ C flaxseeds
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 C water
- Place warm water (not too hot), honey and yeast in a large bowl and set aside for five mins until yeast bubbles and rises to the surface.
- Add flour, oats, seeds, cocoa and salt and then stir through the remaining water. You want a nice thick batter than you can only just draw a spoon through. If dry add a little extra water and if too wet add a little extra flour.
- Cover bowl with a tea towel and place somewhere warm for 4 hours or you can leave it overnight to rise.
- Once the dough has risen preheat oven to 200C, scoop dough into an oiled loaf tin and place in the oven for 45 mins until golden. The loaf will sound hollow when tapped. Transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.