Here at Fresh Choice Nelson we ❤️ summer! A visit to the beach, a cold brew and the BBQ grill on is what Nelson days are made of!
Man we love a banger as much as the next person, especially the gourmet sausages we have in store at Fresh Choice Nelson, crafted by our local, friendly butcher “Phillipe”, (he’s French so knows a thing or two about sausages). But sometimes a sizzling supper calls for a degree of quiet sophistication, so Fresh Choice Nelson brings you recipe inspiration for your barbecue dinner!
Lamb Cutlets with Quinoa Crust
SERVES 4 : PREPARATION TIME 30MINS : COOKING TIME 5-6 MINS
- 12 Quality Mark lamb cutlets, well trimmed
- 3/4 cup cooked white quinoa
- 3/4cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or lemon seasoning, optional
- Milk, to moisten
- 1 cup well-packed basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the grill until hot.
Basil Pesto: Place basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts and oil in a small food processor and process to a rough paste. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and then stir through the Parmesan cheese. Place in a small bowl, cover well and refrigerate.
Quinoa Crust: Place all ingredients except milk in a bowl and mix. Pour in enough milk to just moisten. Press crust on to one side of each lamb cutlet, place on an oiled grilling tray, crust side down. Place under hot grill for 2 minutes. Remove from grill, turn cutlets over, drizzle with a dash of oil and return to the grill for a further 3-4 minutes.
To serve: Serve lamb cutlets with basil pesto and a fresh summer salad or barbecued summer vegetables.
The Grocer’s Tips & Tricks…
- To cook in the oven: Preheat oven to 220° C. Line a shallow baking tray with baking paper. Place cutlets on baking tray, crust side up ar)d drizzle with a little oil. Cook for 8-10 minutes, turning once.
- Bump up the fibre of this dish and use wholegrain breadcrumbs.
- Double the crust recipe and coat both sides of the lamb cutlets if you prefer.
- Buy your basil pesto in store to save time, we have an excellent range at Fresh Choice Nelson.
This recipe comes from the “be inspired with beef and lamb simply summer” guide, available free at Fresh Choice Nelson.