This week at Fresh Choice Nelson, we’re welcoming back Paula Saengthian-Ngam as our guest blogger (Find Paula on Facebook). With the festive season just around the corner Paula has some ideas for homemade Christmas gifts, with all the ingredients available at Fresh Choice Nelson! Take it away Paula…
With many things coming to an end for the year and Christmas upon us, the gift giving season is here. It’s nice to give something special to the people you’ve appreciated throughout the year, and sometimes homemade Christmas gifts can be the kindest gesture.
I think an Inspire Meal Bag would make a great gift, and if you really want to go to the extra mile, cook it for the lucky recipient. Inspire Meal Bags are a complete home cooked meal with all the ingredients you need and an easy to follow recipe card included. You’ll find them in the fresh produce department at Fresh Choice Nelson. There are lots to choose from, some bags feed two and some four people.
Chocolates are also a great gift, but this amazing gluten and refined sugar free vegan fudge makes is even more special. It’s nice and dense, just like fudge, but without all the sugar. It can be enjoyed by people with gluten or dairy allergies, and because it’s sweetened by banana and berries, it makes a much healthier alternative to traditional fudge. The red and green of the berries and nuts, and the spices used in the recipe give it a Christmas feel. Invest in some boxes for your homemade Christmas gifts.
Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Vegan Christmas Fudge
- 100g cashew nuts
- 1 ripe (with a few black spots) banana
- 25g raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 50g virgin coconut oil, melted
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup goji or cranberries
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts
- Place the cashews and banana into a small handheld chopper or blender and process until completely smooth (this may take a while, but it’s worth doing until it’s smooth).
- Add all the other ingredients (except the berries and pistachio nuts) and blend again, scraping down the sides to make sure everything is mixed well. Now stir through the berries and nuts.
- Spread the mixture into a dish of your choice (depending upon how thick you want the fudge to be) and chill in the fridge for around 1 hour (you can sprinkle over a few berries and nuts for decoration).
- Once set, cut into pieces and remove from the dish.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Don’t forget all the ingredients for this recipe can be found at Fresh Choiuce Nelson.