This week at Fresh Choice Nelson, we’re welcoming back Paula Saengthian-Ngam as our guest blogger (Find Paula on Facebook). If you have been buying our Inspire Meal Bags you might have some leftover ingredients… Here’s Paula with a recipe to help you use those up!
Many of the Inspire Meal Bags come with surplus ingredients. You get a whole jar or bottle of something and only need to use some of it… Right?
I hope that having something you maybe wouldn’t regularly buy is helping you to become a more adventurous cook! For those of you who have tried the Seed Crusted Haloumi Inspire Meal Bag, here is a delicious cake recipe using the spare pomegranate molasses. It would make a great dessert to accompany any of the Inspire Meal Bags, just serve it warm with some ice cream, cream or yoghurt. Pomegranate molasses is also delicious poured over ice cream or as a hot or cold drink. Just add some sparkling soda water with ice or hot water and a lemon wedge.
Spiced Carrot, Pistachio and Pomegranate Syrup Cake (Gluten Free)
- 3 large free range eggs
- 200 gm coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 gm ground almonds
- 100 gm desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150 gm butter, melted
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 100 gm pistachio, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Ce;sius. Line a 23 cm spring form cake tin with enough baking paper to cover the sides and base.
- Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla together in a mixing bowl. add the almond, coconut and cinnamon and stir. then add the butter and give the ingredients a thorough mix. add the carrot and pistachio, stir gently and pour into the cake tin.
- Bake for 1 hour or until it feels firm to touch and a crust forms on top. Allow to cool in the tin, then remove and drizzle with the pomegranate molasses. Decorate with extra chopped pistachio or sliced almonds if desired.