Spring is in the air here in beautiful Nelson, and now is a great time to boost your body after the winter chills and ills. You’ll find some fantastic products in store that not only taste great but will also help to nourish your body after the cold season.
- Brazil nuts – High in selenium which is often lacking in NZ soils, soak a few overnight then drain and add to your morning smoothie or cereal.
- Fresh Ginger – Warming and soothing for the stomach, you can make an easy ginger tea with fresh grated ginger, honey, black tea and milk or try the lovely Planet organic ginger tea.
- Kelp flakes or Wakame salt– Made from NZ harvested sea vegetables; keep these in a salt shaker on the table, high in iodine and full of mineral goodness. Simply sprinkle these over any savoury meal as you would salt.
- Chantal raw apple cider vinegar – Alkalising and containing good enzymes and trace minerals, make a fresh salad dressing with ½ cup apple cider, ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, ¼ cup lemon juice, 2 tsp of honey and 1 tsp of whole grain mustard.
- Tonzu soy yoghurt – Probiotics to help keep your gut flora balanced, this yoghurt is great blended into smoothies, soups or on porridge. To make it super smooth and pourable blend the yoghurt in your food processor then pour back into the bottle before using.
Spring Boost Smoothie
- ½ cup Tonzu soy yoghurt
- ½ cup oat, almond or soy milk
- 1 small banana
- 4 brazil nuts (soaked overnight if possible)
- 2 tsp Lifefoods superfood smoothie powder
Blend ingredients well and enjoy!
Thanks to our Guest Blogger – Maddy Bellcroft – Find Maddy on Facebook.